xxxFreePornxxx

Methods for analysis of publicly available porn data via an exploration of trans performance.

Max Schaffer (2019)

(they/them/their)

Harvard University Hxstory and Gender Studies

Abstract: This project aims to exemplify methods for public porn research while generating analysis on the state of modern "adult" media and the evolving existences of trans performers. It tackles  questions of data-oversight, algorithmic bias, digital consent, and gender identity in the rapidly changing pornographic world--and hopes to offer possible actions towards a more equitable streaming-future. These issues exist not simply as problems of the "NSFW" sphere, but as significant pieces of much larger concerns around surveillance, privacy, and economic exploitation. In order to better understand the pornographic world we consume & populate, we must cultivate more accessible public data and discourse, and take active roles in monitoring the porn economy at a technical level.

This piece acts as a primer for the larger Porn 2.0 research project, which aims to encourage further public research in the field.

Goals

• Exemplify methods & data sources.
  • Share analyses of market & consumption.
  • Fill archival gaps for Porn 2.0 and trans studies.
  • Create space for future collaboration and discourse.

1. Intro >|

For additional engagement please visit pornhub.com
“I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within…['hard-core pornography'], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it.“ - Justice Potter Stewart

EXPLICIT CONTENT WARNING

Credits

Max Schaffer 2019